- SGN Smart Limited
- Company number 05618883
- Registered in England and Wales.
- Registered office: St Lawrence House, Station Approach, Horley, Surrey RH6 9HJ
Legal information for our website users covers:
- Terms and conditions of use of this website
- Privacy statement
- Accessibility statement
If you need additional information which is not provided here on this page, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms and conditions
By accessing and using the SGN Smart website, you agree that the following terms and conditions (hereinafter referred to as the ‘Terms’) shall apply.
The content of this website has been prepared to provide general information about SGN Smart to those who access this website from England, Wales and Scotland. Information contained within this website is not intended to provide advice or offer to sell or deal in any securities and must not be relied upon in connection with any investment decision.
All rights, including, without limitation, copyright, contained within this website belongs to SGN Smart. Neither the names, logos nor any other proprietary rights of SGN Smart may be used in any way without the prior written consent of the relevant member and nothing in this website constitutes a licence to use any rights in any way except as expressly provided in Clause 8 hereof.
We reserve the right to monitor and track your visits to this website.
SGN Smart reserves the right to change these Terms and reserves the right to change any material, products or services and applicable Terms to such products or services contained within this website at any time without notice. You are advised to review these Terms on a regular basis as you will be deemed to have accepted changes if you continue to use the website after such changes have been made.
You agree that access to the website, use of any information contained within this website or access to hypertext links through this website is to be used at your own risk as no representations or warranties of any kind whether express or implied are made and are hereby excluded to the extent permissible by law. SGN Smart shall not be liable for any loss or damage, howsoever arising out of or in connection with the use of the website, including without limitation, direct or indirect loss, consequential loss or damage or loss of profit, loss arising from use or loss of use, loss arising from any errors or omissions in the information contained in or referred to in this website and whether for breach of contract, in negligence, delict or tort.
You agree not to damage, interfere with or disrupt access to this website or do anything which may interrupt or impair its functionality. Make available, upload or distribute by any means any material or files that contain any viruses, bugs, corrupt data, ‘Trojan horses’, ‘worms’ or any other harmful software. Obtain or attempt to obtain unauthorised access, through whatever means, to this website, other services or computer systems or areas of SGN Smart’s networks which are identified as restricted.
You shall be responsible for obtaining access to the internet in order to view this website and shall pay any service fees, telephone charges or other costs associated with such access.
From time to time, SGN Smart may provide hypertext links from this website to third party sites both within and possibly outside the European Union. However, these sites are not in any way approved, checked, edited, vetted or recommended by SGN Smart and you agree that SGN Smart shall not be liable in any way for the content of such sites or for any dealings that you may have, or the consequences of such dealings, with such third party site operators. In particular you agree that any dealings you have with such third party site operators shall be on the Terms (if any) of the third party operator.
While certain precautions have been taken to detect computer viruses and ensure security, SGN Smart cannot guarantee that the website is virus-free and secure and SGN Smart shall not be liable for any loss or damage which occurs as a result of any virus or breach of security. You shall protect your computer systems from exposure to viruses by the use of anti-virus software, firewalls and any other technical measures necessary. SGN Smart gives no warranties as to the compatibility of the website with your computer systems, software and/or hardware.
You may download and print any part of the material on this website provided that you shall only be entitled to use such material for your own personal and domestic use. However, you need to be aware that such material may have changed and may not be applicable. You agree not for yourself or through or by way of assistance to any third party to distribute, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise deal in or with the website or materials therein or otherwise commercially exploit such material or content. SGN Smart reserves the right at any time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, any part of the website or your access to or use of the website with or without notice.
SGN Smart have no liability to you for any loss or damage whatsoever in respect of any action it takes pursuant to this paragraph.
Any reference to any product or service which has been or may be provided by SGN Smart does not amount to a promise that such product or service will be available at any time. Changes to or improvements in such products or services may be made at any time without notice.
If any of these provisions should be determined unlawful, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of law then, to the extent and within the jurisdiction which that provision is found to be unlawful, invalid or unenforceable, then that provision shall be deleted and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions which shall continue to be binding and in force.
These specific Terms and any dispute arising herein shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of either England and Wales or Scotland depending on the country from which access is made and subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English or Scottish Courts whichever is applicable. A failure or delay by the SGN Group in enforcing compliance with any provision of these Terms shall not be a waiver of that or any other provision of these Terms. None of these Terms shall be enforceable under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 by any third party. You may not assign any of your rights or obligations under these Terms.
In these Terms, unless specified to the contrary, use of the singular is deemed to include the plural, use of any gender is deemed to include every gender and any reference to a person is deemed to include a corporation, a partnership and any other body or entity and (in each case) vice versa.
If you do not agree to abide by these Terms you should not use this website in any way.
SGN Smart (“We”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Scotia Gas Networks Limited (SGN) of St Lawrence House, Station Approach, Horley, Surrey RH6 9HJ is a data controller. As such, we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. SGN is made up of different legal entities and this Privacy Notice is issued on behalf of the SGN Group so when we mention SGN, “we”, “us” or “our”, we are referring to the relevant company in the SGN Group responsible for processing your data.
By “you” or “your” we mean any individual, sole trader and/or partnership that receives goods/services from us, uses our website or otherwise interacts with SGN.
This Privacy Notice sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully; unless:
If you require the above documents, please contact email@example.com.
It is important that you read this Privacy Notice together with any other Privacy Notice we may provide on specific occasions when we are collecting or processing personal data about you so that you are fully aware of how and why we are using your data. This Privacy Notice supplements the other notices and is not intended to override them.
It should also be read in conjunction with any Terms and Conditions of Use of our website, and will form part of these.
This website may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy notices. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the Privacy Notice of every website you visit.
If you have any questions, then please contact us and we will do our very best to assist you. We can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to the Data Protection Team at the following address:
St Lawrence House, Station Approach, Horley, Surrey RH6 9HJ
Data Protection Officer and complaints
We have appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO) to oversee compliance with this Privacy Notice. If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact SGN’s Data Protection Team at email@example.com or:
Data Protection Team
SGN Legal and Compliance
St Lawrence House
If you need further clarification, are unsatisfied with our actions or wish to make an internal complaint, you may contact the DPO directly in the first instance at the above address.
If you are still unsatisfied, you can contact the Director of Legal and Compliance in writing at the above address.
If you remain dissatisfied with our actions, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Supervisory Authority. The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) can be contacted at: –
Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 (national rate)
Information we may collect from you
We may collect the following personal information:
- your name;
- date of birth;
- telephone numbers;
- e-mail addresses;
- details of a secondary contact (eg name and phone number);
- energy usage (eg meter readings and units of gas used over a period of time);
- details of state benefits that you receive;
- financial information (eg bank account or credit card details);
- permissions (eg if you have consented to be referred to your energy supplier’s Priority Services Register);
- if you are a home owner or renter;
- survey responses;
- your Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN), that identifies your gas supply;
- if you are applying to our Help to Heat Scheme, details about your income;
- if you wish to attend one of our sponsored events, venue and dietary preferences, accessibility requirements and an emergency point of contact;
- if you engage with us through social media, we collect your name and store a link to your relevant social media profile, which we combine with details of your previous correspondence with us;
- if we, or third-party suppliers, carry out a home visit, we may collect personal information about you or a member of your household from that visit, eg we may record information if you or a member of your household may benefit from Priority Services;
- Other operational personal data created, obtained, or otherwise processed while carrying out our business activities, including but not limited to, photographs, CCTV footage, recordings of telephone conversations, logs of visitors, and logs of accidents, injuries and insurance claims.
- Audio, video recordings, live stream footage and/or videography or other image(s), if your consent has been given, in connection with SGN’s business purposes, for advertising promotion and other commercial and business purposes;
We may also collect, store and use the following ’special categories‘ of more sensitive personal information:
- Relating to your health if:
- you are applying to our Help to Heat Scheme
- to provide you with the necessary support when attending SGN sites and/or events taking place outside SGN sites, including operational incidents.
- If we suspect that someone has committed fraud or stolen energy, eg by tampering with a meter or diverting the energy supply, we will record that information.
If you fail to provide personal data
Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter with you (eg to provide you with a new gas connection) or meet our legal obligations (eg equal opportunities or health and safety requirements).
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We will use this information:
to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you. If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data;
to notify you about changes to our service
to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may us this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you.
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in SW1). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience].
- Credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If SGN Smart or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes.
You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Our social media accounts are for customers to interact with one another and provide us with feedback on our service.
However we monitor and review all of the comments posted against our accounts and reserve the right to remove anything inappropriate or offensive, and to report and block any members that do not comply with our social media policy or ‘house rules’. Customers’ content and comments posted on our social media channels do not reflect the opinions and values of SGN Smart, nor those of its staff.
Reasons for removing posts include:
- Abusive, harassing, attacking, threatening or stalking other members of the community.Posting offensive, obscene or vulgar material or using language which is deemed inappropriate.
- Communicating fraudulent and misleading information.Advertising or promoting products and services, spamming and including irrelevant links in order to drive traffic to a particular website.
- For your own privacy, please don’t publish personal information such as contact details on a public post. We will remove any posts containing personal information.
- Please remember to keep posts on topic. If you are going to make a comment on an existing post, make sure it is related – don’t hijack another conversation. If you’d like to share something that does not relate to an existing post, create a new post.
We are committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. We are actively working to increase the accessibility and usability of our website and in doing so adhere to many of the available standards and guidelines. This website endeavours to conform to level Double-A of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0.
This site has been built using code compliant with W3C standards for HTML and CSS. The site displays correctly in current browsers and using standards compliant HTML/CSS code means any future browsers will also display it correctly.
Whilst our website strives to adhere to the accepted guidelines and standards for accessibility and usability, it is not always possible to do so in all areas of the website.
We are continually seeking out solutions that will bring all areas of the site up to the same level of overall web accessibility. In the meantime should you experience any difficulty in accessing the our website, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- What are cookies?
Cookies are plain text files. They can’t run programs behind your back or infect your computer with a virus. They can’t scan your computer for personal information.
We use Webtrends to count the number of visitors to the site and tell us things like which pages are most popular, how long visitors spend on a page and the average number of pages viewed. This works through cookies, but they don’t tell us who you are or send us any personal information about you.
- How to manage cookies
You can delete cookies stored on your computer or change your privacy settings at any time through your browser settings.
- What happens if I don’t allow websites to send me cookies?
- More information
You can find out more about cookies on the all about cookies website.